It’s Cheese timeJ. Gouda cheese....flavoured with garlic and herbs. Sounds yummy?? Traditionally, croquettes are deep fried, but the new world calls for a healthy diet...so we’ll bake them.
I used fresh tuna so had a messy time and smelly palms by the end. You can use canned tuna. In this case start form Step 3. In step 5 add cayenne pepper and turmeric, cook well, add garam masala powder and finally add tuna.
Ingredients: (serves 6)
Fresh Tuna- 1/2 kg cut and clean
Potatoes - 2 medium size boiled and peeled
Gouda cheese (garlic and herbs flavour) - grated 1 cup
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Onion- 2 or 3 medium sized finely chopped
Garlic and Ginger paste - 2 tablespoon coarsely ground
Green chillies- 3 finely chopped
Cayenne pepper/Chilli powder- ¾ tablespoon
Turmeric powder- ½ tablespoon
Water - 2 cups
Garam masala powder- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs finely chopped
Bread crumbs for coating the croquettes
Salt to taste
1. Cook tuna with salt, chilli and turmeric powders in water.
2. Remove the skin, debone the tuna and shred it.
3. Heat oil in pan.
4. Sauté onions till transparent.
5. Add ginger garlic paste, curry leaves and green chillies continue sautéing till the mixture is well cooked. Finally add garam masala powder and stir. Mixture is shown in picture below.
6. Now add this mixture and potatoes to tuna, mash well and evenly mix it. Check salt and add if necessary. But don’t overdo the salt because the cheese has strong flavours.
7. Now take a medium sized lump(size of an egg) in your palm, roll it and flatten it into a circle’ish’ shape(forgive me for that usage, dint really know how to express it rite J). Now put one teaspoon grated cheese in the centre and cover it up. Make into a fine oval shape.
8. Beat egg and dip the croquettes one by one and then roll in bread crumbs. They would look like this just before going into the oven.
9. Preheat oven to 210⁰C.
10. Spread a thin layer of oil in your baking tray and place croquettes.
11. Bake for 10mins then turn side and bake again for 8 to 10mins till light golden brown.
12. Serve hot and cheesy... J