It’s called “Jeeraka Kanji” in Malayalam, where jeerakam means cumin and kanji means porridge...an easy preparation which has medicinal values due to what goes in there. It’s a traditional preparation during the holy month of fasting (Ramdan) for Muslims. I learnt this one from my mom in law....It’s her son’s (my hubby) favourite dish!!
The brown rice used for this preparation is broken or crushed, which gives it a 'melt in the mouth' texture when cooked. So here’s to healthy eating from MJ’s kitchenJ!!
Ingredients: (serves 4-5)
Crushed/ broken brown rice - 2cups
Water- 5 to 6 cups for cooking rice
Coriander seeds- 2 tablespoons
Cumin seeds- 2 tablespoons
Garlic- 6 or 7 cloves halved
Salt to taste
Coconut-3 cups grated or thick coconut milk -2 cups
Shallots- 5 or 6
Cumin seeds - a pinch
Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
1. Powder the cumin seeds and coriander seeds. Add this to rice.
2. In a vessel add 5 cups of water and bring to boiling.
3. Then add rice mixture and garlic. Let it cook at medium flame. Process might take up to 30 mins. The rice should be very finely cooked. Extra water can be added if water content reduces to less than half before rice is fully cooked.
4. Grind listed items into fine paste with little water.
5. When rice is completely cooked, reduce flame. Add paste and mix well. Heat only till a frothy texture from the coconut milk appears on top of gravy.
6. Let it stand for a while before serving.
7. Pickles are the best side dish for Spicy Porridge.