Ingredients: (serves 3)
Toor Dal - a handful washed and soaked
Green chillies- 2 or 3 slit
Chilli powder/ cayenne pepper- 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Spinach - 2 bunches cleaned and chopped
Salt to taste
Coconut- ½ grated
Shallots- 3 or 4
Fennel seeds powder-1/2 teaspoon
Ginger- 1 small piece
Curd- 1 tablespoon
Curry leaves- 1 strand
Mustard- ¼ teaspoon
Dry red chillies-2 broken into halves
Fenugreek seeds -4 to 5
Coconut oil- 1 tablespoon
1. Cook dal, chilli powder, turmeric powder and green chillies with minimum water and salt.
2. Once dal is done, add spinach and cook in minimum water with lid on.
3. Grind listed items into fine paste with little water.
4. When spinach is completely cooked, reduce flame. Add paste and mix well. Heat only till a frothy texture from the coconut appears on top of gravy.
5. Heat oil in pan.
6. Splutter mustard, add fenugreek seeds and chillies. Sauté and off the flame. Then add curry leaves.
7. Pour tadka into curry. Serve with rice and pickle.
Tips n Tricks:
· Those who don’t like to feel too much dal texture in their curry can use masoor dal.