A salad for the soul!! Perfect, when paired with some grilled meat J Favoloso!!! (err....correct me if my language is wrong).
This post is a dedication to all our fellow beings hit by the catastrophic Tsunami in Japan. It’s devastating to see one of the world’s largest economies struggling to get life back to normal. How that shows even the best in the world won’t be able to resist nature’s fury! Therefore, guys lets pledge to take care of nature, so she would be more kind to usJ. All my foodie friends in Japan, I hope you guys get over the hard phase of life soon!
I love cabbage in my salad....but this was the first time with red cabbage...it’s nice...Adds a lot of colour to your salad without much variation in taste.
Some other day, I’ll post a lean chicken burger recipe where this salad could be used instead of the regular slaw.
The dressing is optional....it’s nice when you simply toss everything together. Vinaigrette results from excess juices of the cabbage and oil from the stir fried broccoli. And btw, this dressing is great with just some grated carrots and sliced cucumbers. The celery leaves add an amazingly fresh taste, so make sure you use them.
So what you see above happened when I tossed the salad and splattered the dressing all over J and if you look beneath that’s how I ate it. I did add some extra grated carrot to it. That adds a nice sweetness.
Red cabbage - 1 small half
Cayenne pepper/ chilli powder - ¼ teaspoon
Carrots- 2 julienned
Broccoli florets - 1 cup
Olive oil - 1tbsp
Salt to season
White onion - half chopped finely
Leaves form celery sticks - chopped very finely
Yogurt - ½ cup
Mayonnaise - ½ tbsp(optional)
Salt to season
1. Place cabbage half in a zip lock bag or air tight container the flat side facing up.
2. Pour into the cabbage a mixture of vinegar, salt and cayenne pepper. Close the bag and refrigerate overnight.
3. Stir fry broccoli in a tbsp olive oil with salt till the colour is bright and it gets cooked but crunchy...just takes 3mins.
4. Drain the seasoning of cabbage into a bowl. Slice the cabbage.
5. In a bowl, whisk together the leftover seasoning and all the ingredients listed under Dressing. Refrigerate.
6. Toss cabbage, carrot and broccoli only when it’s time to serve.
7. Top with generous amount of dressing and enjoy J!!
By the way, even some julienned red or yellow bell peppers could go in there if you wish J