Monday, March 7, 2011

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES WITH BROCCOLI TREES!!


My mom’s garden has tons of tomatoes this season.....and since I am home on a short vaccation...there was absolutely no need to search for inspiration to make these. All I had to do was look out of the window!!

But, before I get on with the recipe, I would like to thank Elisabeth of food and thrift finds for the “sisterhood of world bloggers award” or the Angel award as she calls it. Ah! I am sure all of you know Elisabeth...I still haven’t grown enough to talk about her blog, so go check it out all by yourself and let her know Mj of Cardamom Hills send you thereJ.

The next heart filled thank you goes out to Brooks Walker of Cakewalker fame for the “Stylish blogger award” who has amazing cakes whipping up every time you visit his space. So go on Baker-bloggers, this one’s for you!
Now, coming back to our fried green tomatoes....I made these with garden fresh tomatoes. While, picking you green babies, make sure to take the bigger ones that are evenly green and not whitish. The smaller or whitish ones tend to be bitter. Otherwise there is nothing difficult about these fritters.

And about the silly broccoli florets sticking out, it was a part of my lousy attempt to create some fancy green fritters. But, I have to tell you, they taste rocking with the tomatoes, especially because they become a little chew after pan-searing.

If you look closely at the picture, you could see a few streaks of orange here and there, those are ripe green chillies that I sliced up and mixed with the bread crumbs
J. Doesn’t matter, use the regular green chilli paste or pepper if you like light seasoning.

Ingredients: (serves 6)

Green tomatoes - 4
Broccoli florets - 1 cup sliced thinly
Egg white - from 2 eggs
celery stick - 2inches piece chopped and pureed in blender
Green chilli paste - 1 teaspoon
Garam masala - ¼ teaspoon
Seasoned Bread crumbs - 1 cup
Flour - 1 tablespoon
dried basil - 1 tsp powdered
Ginger garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Olive oil for cooking

Method:

1.       Slice tomatoes into ½ inch thick pieces.
2.       Remove some of the seeds, so that they don’t get soggy while frying.
3.       Rub with salt and leave aside.
4.       Beat egg white, salt, garam masala, green chilli paste, ginger garlic paste and celery paste until even mixture is formed.
5.       In a separate dish mix bread crumbs, basil and flour evenly.
6.       Dip tomato slice in egg wash and coat in bread crumbs generously. Keep aside.
7.       Dip broccoli slices in egg wash and place on the up side of the breaded tomato slices.
8.       Very slightly press the broccoli into the mush groove of the tomato slice.
9.       Heat a non stick pan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil swirled around.
10.   Fry the plain breaded side first till evenly brown.
11.   Turn and fry the side with broccoli slice until crisp and golden.
12.   Serve hot!! Accompaniment - watch out for it in my next post J

18 comments:

  1. Those look absolutely delicious! I love the addition of the broccoli..I will definitely have to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fried green tomatoes look incredible...what a gorgeous crust and the flavor must be spectacular with the added spices :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fried green tomatoes sound delicious! I like that you've used the broccoli in there...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful and wonderful flavors! Fantastic photos too..nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fried green tomatoes look sooo good. I love how you added broccoli to the fried green tomatoes, it's my favorite vegetable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous! Great idea with the broccoli and the chilli. Looking forward to seeing your accompaniment, too. The photo rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful , Your mom's garden sounds lovely .

    ReplyDelete
  8. so good mj. your mom's garden seems to be wonderful! fresh from the farm food...wht more can we ask for??

    ReplyDelete
  9. MJ-Your fried green tomatoes are amazing, and incredible, Love the addition of the spices, and the addition of the broccoli. The photo of it, with the beautiful flowers are such a happy, spring addition!

    Thank you so much for the kind mention, re: the Sisterhood award, which you more than deserved it...and yes, you are an "Angel" among all the other lovely ladies.
    Such a lovely write up about my blog, I'm deeply honored!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm these look tasty! I've only had fried green tomatoes once but I loved them! And I always think of the movie Fried Green Tomatoes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. if you are serving fried green tomatoes to summer time can't be too far away! They look delicious I would love to have a plate of those dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard so much about them but never really tried. Guess now I must try especially after seeing your fabulous recipe n presentation :)


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love fried green tomatoes - and the addition of broccoli . . . mmmm! Might I add, you whisked up a bit of nostalgia for me by calling them "trees", which is how I grew up referring to them as! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally dig the fried tomato leaf you used as a garnish! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your well deserved awards! This is such a gorgeous way to serve fried green tomatoes...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love, love fried green tomatoes. The broccoli also sounds really good. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh and congrats on the awards :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on the awards. You definitely deserve them.

    I'm living in the south and have yet to try a fried green tomato! I love the movie by that name but that's as far as it goes. Your dish looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to encourage me! Every comment is heartfully read and loved! Please stop by again and again and again.....!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...