Thanks everyone for voting me to the top 9 on FOODBUZZ.
Chocolate and strawberries - mmm.... Nutella and strawberries - mmmmmm....hehe....yeah, even I love nutella J. Infact, I am still to find someone who doesn’t! So here we have our Valentine day special - steamy, hot coffee flavoured flan with fresh strawberries and luscious Nutella sauce. I don’t think I need to say more, right?
Well, you could use a mixture of berries, though I prefer just strawberries. Please use brown sugar for the flan because it goes great with the coffee flavour. And the colour is also perfected.
There is nothing hard about this dessert.All you need to do is keep an eye on it, so that it won’t over cook. The amount of time for baking will vary from oven to oven. And I like keeping my flan not too thick. The one I made here is just about an inch thick.
And pst pst, I baked it in my non-stick tart pan for that elegant look. I had some difficulty getting it out of the pan but finally it came out undamaged! Phew!!
Leaving you with the recipe J
Ingredients: (serves 5)
Milk-2 cups chilled (I used low fat)
Instant coffee- 2 tbsp finely powdered
Full fat cream - 2 cups chilled
Brown sugar- ¾ cup (adjust to taste)
Cinnamon powder - ¼ teaspoon
Eggs - 3
Sugar for caramel - ½ cup (again adjust to your desire but remember nutella sauce will be sweet)
Nutella - ½ cup (3 tbsp)
Water - 2 tbsp hot boiling
Strawberries - 1 cup sliced
1. Beat milk, cream, brown sugar, cinnamon and coffee till smooth mixture.
2. Add egg and beat on a low speed till well incorporated. Don’t let it fluff. Just beat for 2mins or so till mixture is smooth.
3. Caramelise sugar in a non stick vessel till golden colour and pour into an oven proof dish for baking flan. Be careful not to burn yourself.
4. Slowly, pour the flan mixture on top. Do it evenly.
5. Pre heat oven to 180⁰C.
6. Bake for 40 to 45 mins in a water bath where water level is half.
7. Be careful not to over bake. Keep an eye after 30mins and bake only till fully done i.e knife cums out clean when inserted.
8. When fully done, remove and transfer to serving dish.
9. Mix hot water and nutella. Adjust quantity of water till you get sauce texture.
10. Garnish flan with strawberry slices and pour sauce over.
11. Dig in warm for a fresh taste and texture J