Where did I eat my first Chicken and Mango sandwich…well, have you ever tried the chicken and mango bloomer sandwich from costa coffee??? It’s an absolutely wonderful combination of flavours. We love this one at home…all of us- me, hubby n baby J Then, I don’t have to tell you why I tried to recreate it!
Now, to a little more serious issue before we talk more about our sandwich
October being the breast cancer awareness month, I too, would like to do my bit. So starting today, for couple of weeks, I’ll be sharing a few facts about this form of cancer under this section. Today, we’ll talk about the risk factors of developing breast cancer.
When is a person more prone to breast cancer?
· Women are 100 times more prone to this form of cancer BUT men are also diagnosed with it. They stand poorer chances of survival due to late diagnosis.
· Ageing- as one grows older the risk of being infected increases
· Lifestyle- tobacco, alcohol and obesity – excess of any or all increase chances by 30-35%
· Not having children or having kids extremely late in life.
· Choosing not to breastfeed your children.
· Genetic factor- having a history of cancer in the family
· Exposure to any form of hazardous radiation
· Any kind of hormone replacement treatment
· Regular intake Oral contraceptives are also said to increase the risk of breast cancer.
Take care girls!! J
Back to our bloomer sandwiches.... It super simple and yum yum….all you gotta do is slice up a fresh, sweet, succulent mango, add some very finely sliced basil, mix to make a compote. Flavour your mayo with some garlic powder and pepper. Slice up some smoked chicken mortadella. Stack ‘em all up in multi-grain bread, smear a bit of butter on it, grill and grab!!
BUT, there is a small secret to making the perfect mango bloomers that taste exactly like the ones from costa coffee. And that is use the same ingredients I have mentioned below, preferably of the same brand. I have been trying to get this right from quite a while and these gave me the best result. Ofcourse, if you can bake some fresh multi-grain bread then good for you J …lol, I used all store bought stuff….have to talk about the mayonnaise and basil in particular. Use mayo made with sunflower oil base like the one indicated in the recipe. I tried with low fats, various brands, types but this gave me the best result. And basil, please don’t use dried basil, it tastes horrible L
Best enjoyed with a cup of freshly brewed hot coffee! J
Ingredients: (Makes 3 sandwiches)
Multigrain bread – 6 pieces
Smoked chicken mortadella- 6 slices
Fresh fully ripe Mango – 1 large sliced into thin pieces
Fresh Basil leaves- 8 leaves very finely chopped
Lesieur Mayonnaise – 2 tbsp
Garlic powder- a pinch
Freshly ground pepper – ¼ tsp
Butter to spread on the back of the sandwich before grilling
1. Toss mango slices and basil. If the mango is not very sweet, add some sugar to impart just enough sweetness. Set aside.
2. Whisk garlic powder and pepper in the mayonnaise. Check for a mild flavour of garlic. Should be very mild.
3. Heat a non-stick pan to high. One by one, sear each side of the chicken mortadella slices for a few seconds. Slice it up into smaller inch-long pieces.
4. Spread a thin layer of mayo in both pieces of bread.
5. Stack pieces of chicken mortadella in bread.
6. Add generous amount of mango compote.
7. Seal with second piece of bread and press gently.
8. Heat grill pan, smear with butter.
9. Toast the sandwich till either sides become crisp.
10. Eat hot with the cup of freshly brewed coffee J